Over a decade ago I was inspired by a revered and popular public figure who ran their first marathon sometime after turning 40. I said, "I'd like to do that one day - run a marathon - sometime in my 40's". Fast forward to November 3rd, 2010, and within minutes of the clock striking midnight, I cried myself to sleep. I had turned 40. My tears were not due to the actual number, but over the fact that my life didn't look like what I thought it would at this age. I was childless despite every effort not to be, and behind closed doors I was hopeless and lifeless. I had many broken dreams and a broken spirit to match.

A month after turning 40 I remembered my words all those years ago and asked my health care practitioner whether I'd be physically able to run a marathon (especially being 20kg / 45 pounds overweight), and if so - how long would I need to prepare. He replied, "12 months". I asked, "Would 11 be okay?" He nodded. That night I registered for the New York City Marathon and the next morning, I started my training program (which was written for me by an expert in aerobic endurance training). To ensure nothing stopped me from realising my dream (like luck in the lottery selection process), I registered with a charity and have a guaranteed place. I now have 9 months to go before I head to New York and realise my dream - running the marathon, three days after my 41st birthday.

This is my journey...

Thursday 3 March 2011

The cost of an overactive brain

You may recall some time ago I sought out acupuncture in an attempt to improve my rest and recovery. Since then I've been getting regular treatment, which leaves me feeling deliriously relaxed at the end of each session. While this is great on my acupuncture days, it hasn't exactly stopped my brain from working overtime in between appointments - which is becoming a bit of a concern.

Having an overactive brain has had a dominoes effect from lack of sleep, to frustration and fatigue. All this has had an alarmingly negative effect on my training - not to mention my writing and even speaking. But for the sake of this blog, let's just focus on the road to New York.

Despite being loyal to my running schedule, my lack of quality rest and recovery has seen a downturn in my aerobic capacity. This is measured by a MAF test (Measure of Aerobic Fitness) that I do every three weeks to track my progress - or in this case, regress.

My MAF test consists of a 15-minute warm up before timing how quickly I can run 4km / 2.5miles whilst remaining within my aerobic heart rate zone (mine is 125-135 bpm). I made great gains over the first 9 weeks (over 7 minutes), however this last 3-week block has seen me go backwards.

This has been so disheartening.

My delight in yesterday's milestone was short lived after waking up completely exhausted today (I had another late and restless night last night). It's now edging towards midnight, I have a busy weekend ahead and as I type these words I can feel my shoulders tensing and my jaw clenching.

I have come to the realisation that I have to manage this entire situation pronto or I could really do damage to the fruition of my dream. This may or may not impact my daily blogging - that will be revealed.

So for now I'll just say - until next time... know when to baton down the hatches as the seas rise.

Grace xx

'Idea grow on Brain' is by Malaysian artist Joanna Lim, who wants to show her artwork to the world. World, here is Joanna's artwork.

Start spreading the news... if you a) love this post, b) love my blog, c) love me or d) all of the above - why not share? Bookmark and Share


No comments:

Post a Comment