Over a decade ago I was inspired by a revered and popular public figure who ran their first marathon sometime after turning 40. I said, "I'd like to do that one day - run a marathon - sometime in my 40's". Fast forward to November 3rd, 2010, and within minutes of the clock striking midnight, I cried myself to sleep. I had turned 40. My tears were not due to the actual number, but over the fact that my life didn't look like what I thought it would at this age. I was childless despite every effort not to be, and behind closed doors I was hopeless and lifeless. I had many broken dreams and a broken spirit to match.

A month after turning 40 I remembered my words all those years ago and asked my health care practitioner whether I'd be physically able to run a marathon (especially being 20kg / 45 pounds overweight), and if so - how long would I need to prepare. He replied, "12 months". I asked, "Would 11 be okay?" He nodded. That night I registered for the New York City Marathon and the next morning, I started my training program (which was written for me by an expert in aerobic endurance training). To ensure nothing stopped me from realising my dream (like luck in the lottery selection process), I registered with a charity and have a guaranteed place. I now have 9 months to go before I head to New York and realise my dream - running the marathon, three days after my 41st birthday.

This is my journey...

Wednesday 23 February 2011

What rice is right?

One thing I've found perplexing on the road to health and fitness is that what's right today is wrong tomorrow, and vice versa.

When I first joined the gym nigh on a year ago, I was instructed by a personal trainer (who featured on Australia's Biggest Looser) to 'smash it'. He operates by the 'no pain no gain' school of thought, however in my personal quest for aerobic endurance I've learned "no pain no gain, no brain".

Further to that is conflicting information about foods. Juicing is good. Juicing is not good. Carbs are essential. Carbs are non essential. Eliminate all fats. Eat good fats. Replace high GI (glycemic index) glucose with low GI fructose. Avoid fructose at all costs. And on and on it goes.

Then today, as I was leaving my acupuncture appointment, I asked what food would best support my spleen (apparently that's low in energy and needs nourishing). The answer to that was "Rice. Rice is good. Eat plenty of rice".

"Rice?" I thought to myself, "But isn't that a high GI carb that I should be avoiding at all costs - especially after 3pm?" Of course I didn't actually say any of this. Traditional Chinese Medicine has its own explanation, which I've found to be the antithesis of what I thought I knew. So I walked out of the clinic with my head tick, tick, ticking...
So how do I do this? Nourish my spleen while still remaining on my low GI lifestyle (which I adopted in April 2010 and slowly lost 15kg / 33 pounds as a result). Out of all the rice varieties in the world, which one is right?
To my knowledge thus far, there are two rice varieties that fulfil my needs - Basmati and the 'clever rice' known as Doongara. Both are low GI and both are spleen-nourishing rice. Bingo!

The acupuncture must have worked a treat as I crashed out on the couch as soon as I returned home. I fell into a deep slumber and awoke with news that Patrick was 'doing dinner' - Indian curry with Basmati rice supplied by our local Bombay Café for a small fee. Delicious. Spleen in recovery.

Until tomorrow, do what you know to be right today - and be nice to your spleen.

Grace xx

Start spreading the news... if you a) love this post, b) love my blog, c) love me or d) all of the above - why not share? Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment