Over a decade ago I was inspired by a revered and popular public figure who ran their first marathon sometime after turning 40. I said, "I'd like to do that one day - run a marathon - sometime in my 40's". Fast forward to November 3rd, 2010, and within minutes of the clock striking midnight, I cried myself to sleep. I had turned 40. My tears were not due to the actual number, but over the fact that my life didn't look like what I thought it would at this age. I was childless despite every effort not to be, and behind closed doors I was hopeless and lifeless. I had many broken dreams and a broken spirit to match.

A month after turning 40 I remembered my words all those years ago and asked my health care practitioner whether I'd be physically able to run a marathon (especially being 20kg / 45 pounds overweight), and if so - how long would I need to prepare. He replied, "12 months". I asked, "Would 11 be okay?" He nodded. That night I registered for the New York City Marathon and the next morning, I started my training program (which was written for me by an expert in aerobic endurance training). To ensure nothing stopped me from realising my dream (like luck in the lottery selection process), I registered with a charity and have a guaranteed place. I now have 9 months to go before I head to New York and realise my dream - running the marathon, three days after my 41st birthday.

This is my journey...

Wednesday 2 March 2011

A personal milestone

There was once a time when I would drive past Albert Park Lake (aka Melbourne's Formula 1 Grand Prix track) and enviously watch runners glide past thinking "Gee, I'd love to do that".

My first ever lap around the lake was with my mountain bike some years ago and I remember thinking that in itself was an achievement (all you hardcore MTB'ers are allowed to laugh at that).

You see, doing a lap of Albert Park Lake isn't exactly far - nor is it mountainous - it's just under 5kms / 3miles of flat sandy terrain. However it's the fact that you can see all the way around that has you thinking "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

This morning I had an introduction to Pilates (I'm a late bloomer) near the lake and planned to run around it afterwards, which is precisely what I did. I'd left the detachable transmitting part of my heart rate monitor at home, so I was jogging by feeling rather than digital feedback.

Not monitoring my heart rate meant that I had nothing to really focus on. I was able to look around, take a dozen self portraits documenting this momentous occasion and, dare I say it, think. I started getting bored and the words "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" chimed in my mind. I looked at my watch "Gosh, I've only been running 15 minutes!"

I had a mini panic attack "Oh my goodness, what happens if this occurs during the New York Marathon? Feel like I've been running for hours and it's only a few minutes? How will I get through it?"

Then the self coaching kicked in...

"Grace, you're running in a circle. You can see clearly across the lake - where you've come from and where you're going to. When you run through the suburban streets, you can only see the road ahead before it twists and turns. Just focus on what's in front of you and not the end".

So I continued to run around and focus on the time and not the distance. I could see the path whizzing underneath the gaze upon my watch. Before I knew it, I'd done it. I ran around Albert Park Lake. I had achieved a personal milestone - I had become that person that I once envied - and in the process, I learned a lesson...

Do not focus on the end. Just know that it's there and tis where you are heading, but do not fixate on it. Instead, focus only at the task at hand - what is right there in front of you. Devoting your focus on that will take you swiftly (and seemingly effortlessly) to the end.

Until tomorrow, keep the end in mind but focus only on the steps that'll take you there - you'll arrive feeling so much better. Oh, and avoid running around in circles ;-)

Grace xx

Start spreading the news... if you a) love this post, b) love my blog, c) love me or d) all of the above - why not share? Bookmark and Share


No comments:

Post a Comment